1. Healthy eyes are beautiful eyes. If your eyes are swollen, red, or otherwise unhealthy, no amount of makeup is going to disguise this fact. If you wear contact lenses, make sure that you attend to all the care instructions for them. Also, protect your eyes by using cosmetics with sunscreen included.
2. When putting on eye makeup, make sure it goes with the rest of your look. Too many women forget that while the eyes are important, they must be in harmony with the rest of the face. Choose eye makeup that goes with what you’re wearing, and with the look you choose on the rest of your face. Don’t let your features go to war with each other to be the most prominent – you’ll have to choose whether you want the focus to be on your lips or eyes, for instance. Overdoing it can just look garish.
3. Lay a good base. A layer of foundation on your eyelids will help smooth out imperfections and help your eye shadow and liner look their best.
4. Choose a color theme. This doesn’t meant that you have to use a monochrome scheme for your eye makeup, but it does mean that it’s a good idea to keep an idea of color harmony in mind as you apply your makeup. The colors that will work best for you depend on your skin tone.
5. Pay attention to your eye shape. What works on one person won’t necessarily look good on another. Figuring out what shape and set your eyes are can go a long way to helping you get the right look.
6. Select quality cosmetics. It really matters whether or not your makeup is high quality. Don’t let your tools work against you just because you can get a cheaper brand. You’ll never achieve the same looks you can with a better brand.
7. Use specialized cleansers to remove your makeup. Soap and water are harsh and can irritate the eyes. Specially formulated eye cleansers are gentle, but made to remove old cosmetics.
8. Use darker, more heavily made up looks at night. Daytime requires a more natural look. Apply mascara on the tips of the lashes only, and save the liquid liner for evenings. Harsh makeup in daylight can look overdone or silly.
9. Soften over-prominent eyes. Just because the eyes are the first thing we pay attention to doesn’t meant that they must be the focus of every look. If you feel that your eyes are too prominent, apply medium shadow and don’t use highlights. This will make them appear deeper-set.
10. Keep up to date on the latest looks. If you’ve been doing your eyes the same way for years, you can look dated without knowing it. Pay attention to what other people are wearing as well as the latest makeup styles, and form a look that’s your own.